Union Management Relations
UNION MANAGEMENT RELATIONS
DURATION : 2 days
TARGET GROUP: This module is meant for industrial relation practioners and line mangers in the public and private sector, who must create a conducive and enabling environment and harmonious relations in a unionized workplace. The programme will also assist who participate in union-management negotiations
- Have a clear understanding of the essence of labour relations and the importance of maintaining good labour/industrial relations in the enterprise.
- Have a clear understanding of the legal framework that governs the management labour relations in Botswana.
- Have an appreciation of what trade unions do in the workplace.
- Have grasped the basic principles, and rights and obligations of both employers and unions.
- Be able to effectively manage labour relations in a unionised environment.
- Conduct effective negotiations with trade unions
PROWESS MODULE ONE TO SEVEN
MODULE ONE - PRODUCTIVITY AND PERFORMANCE:
- What is meant by productivity and what the classic productivity problems are?
- Identify roots causes and potential remedies of production and performance
- Setting individual performance objectives
- Reflected on their own role in improving performance
- Create a delegation plan
- Identify three productivity targets for their enterprises
- Developed and implementation plan to improve an aspect of productivity
MODULE TWO - QUALITY:
- Definition of quality.
- History and development of quality concepts
- Developed strategies to exceed customer expectations
- Reviewed a quality management framework
- Mobilizing the team to improve quality
- Identify relevant quality standard bodies for their enterprise.
- Implement quality improvements
MODULE THREE -WORKPLACE IMPROVEMENTS:
- Identified the core components of a triple bottom line approach
- Created a diagnostic tool for SME’s to examine the triple bottom line
- Reflected on how to change company culture
- Lean production concept in relation to both manufacturing and service delivery
- Reflected on the business potential of environmentally sound practices
- Developed part of a business plan for green business
- Prepare an action plan to implement workplace improvements
MODULE FOUR - MANAGING AND DEVELOPING PEOPLE
- Established effective ways of working together
- Explored the relationship between the enterprise and the employees
- Examine a range of approaches to increasing productivity by improving workplace morale
- How to motivate current employees
- Identified how to increase the skills and knowledge of employees
- Setting learning objectives and coaching staff
- Identified ways of resolving classic tricky HR issues
- Workplace improvement plan.
MODULE FIVE - MANAGING OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH
- Shared experiences of OSH in the workplace
- Identified the potential OSH hazards in a work setting
- Undertaken as OSH risk management
- Developed some key messages for improving awareness and commitment to safety at work
- Identified the signs and symptoms of stress in the workplace
- Measures can be implemented to improve staff well-being
- OSH policy for their enterprise
- Plan to improve occupational safety and well-being at work.
MODULE SIX – MARKETING
- Shared what they currently do in marketing their business
- Mind mapped who their customers are and what they want
- Explored the 4P’s of marketing
- Developed a short marketing strategy
- Reflected on how to improve the image and reputation of the business
- Developing newsworthy stories about their businesses
- Identified free marketing opportunities
- Prepare action plan for implementation aspects of the marketing strategy
MODULE SEVEN-GET ORGANIZED
- Identified the classic problems in organizing a small business
- How to be more efficient in the collection, storage and retrieval of information
- Explored the key concepts relating to financial management in their business
- Identified how to reduce overheads and costs
- The obstacles to being personally productive and how to be a positive role model to others
- Identified how to improve productivity through better time management
- Examined tools that will aid them in becoming more effective.
- Prepare action plan to implement an aspect of improvement through good business administration and management